Friday 22 August 2014

Part-time hobby or Full time career


I have recently been looking into making Adiesdesigns more than just a hobby. It is not that I don't enjoy nursing, that is who I am at heart, it is not just my job, however I am finding working with my junior colleagues very trying and quite disheartening. To most of them nursing IS just a job and this is evident in their attitude to everything from the way they wear their uniform to their lack of patient advocacy.  They just don't seem to care about their patient anymore. I will never give up nursing totally but I might change that into my hobby and see a few patients privately or work through an agency every now and then just to keep my skills up.
Making this change is not going to happen in the next six months or even a year, but it will happen eventually.

I know there are a lot of people who have made the transition in turning their hobby into a career. Etsy is full of these successful people and their blogs talk about this move, which make interesting reading. There is a lot of research and background needed before a decision can be taken.

One of the first things is your Pro's and Con's list. This is important to see if it is to your benefit to start your own company.
Here is my list:
Pro
1. I will be my own boss! No more office politics
2.I can work the hours I want.
3.I can be available to my kids on short notice
4.I can set the rules once I am successful enough to hire employees
5. I can hire employees to do the work I find tedious, once I am successful, things like going to the Post Office to mail orders.
6. When I am successful I can decide if I want to own a physical store or stay as an online shop.
7.I can earn what I want if I am willing to work for it.
8. I will have more time to cook which I love.
9. I can still do nursing through an agency, when I want to .
10. I can take a vacation when I want, I can take time off for the Jewish Holidays and I can make appointments when I want not when my shift allows.
11. I can go shopping for beads, with money from my company and not have it interfere with my home budget.
12. I won't have to rely on others to do the work, it will be my job.

Con's
1. Until the business is earning enough for me to stop my job, I will have mad hours.
2. I must self motivate (even on days where I would prefer to hibernate- cold days)
3. No sales no income!
4.Distractions when you work from home, will need to be disciplined with my work time.

For me it looks like the pro's outweigh the con's!

I have just sent photo's of my jewelry to a craft market near me that doesn't require you to sign over all your weekends. Hopefully they will think my jewelry different enough to the two other stalls that they have and give me the go ahead. Step one in getting my stuff out there.

I didn't make anything this week, but I did find pictures of a few of the first things I ever made and sold.








No comments: